Jose Mourinho stated he will attend Inter’s match against Sampdoria on Saturday but insists he has no designs on Roberto Mancini’s job in the San Siro dugout.
Mourinho has been linked to a host of high-profile jobs since his second tenure at Chelsea ended prematurely last December, while Inter – who he guided to back-to-back Serie A titles and Champions League glory in 2010 – have seen their ambitions of claiming the Scudetto fade during the new year.
Inter owner Erick Thohir said earlier on Friday that the slump did not put current boss Roberto Mancini’s job in jeopardy and Mourinho says his presence in Milan is in relation to a dinner date with Thohir’s predecessor Massimo Moratti.
“I’ll be in Milan for one day – I am grateful to my president Massimo Moratti, who I want to personally thank,” he said in a statement to La Stampa.
“I left Inter in 2010 and since then I have worked hard at Real Madrid and Chelsea, so it has been hard to find the time to have lunch with the Moratti family. We agreed to see each other a couple of weeks ago.
‘Mourinho? We already have Mancini’ – Thohir
“After being together for lunch we will go to San Siro, bringing with us the spirit of Inter, with the hope and happiness to see Inter win. It will be very emotional for me – San Siro, the Inter fans.
“But one thing I want to clarify, I will not be in charge next season. Inter have a project and that is Erick Thohir and Roberto Mancini.
“Their ideas have my full support and my hope is that the project of the coach and the president continues with great success.”
On his own future, Mourinho said recent weeks have been a case of clubs approaching him rather than the other way around, amid speculation touting him as a replacement for under-fire Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal.
“My next club? I really don’t know,” he explained. “One thing is certain; I love football and I will return on the fields with the same passion and ambition as always.